Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archibald wrote:
don't think this has been addressed in this thread but apologies if it has...

i've made the mgmapscache folder hidden so now the gallery loading time is ok again. however, the thousands of tiles still appear in the gallery so it's a pain to find photos etc. is there a way to fix this?

love this app otherwise. really looking forward to the next updates and being able to export kml routes and draw a line of where i've been through. good work Smile

You'll find post by myself and others which list out the exact steps to get rid of your problem (i.e. if you haven't found it already)
Regards,

n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stored maps slows my phone - Solution exists Reply with quote

asinha wrote:
Team,

Problem: When you put the large number of files (such as 15000 or more) the files take a large disk size - a normal 150MB (in 15000 files) will grow to 2.0Gb.
Solution: To reduce this, you can choose to format your memory card with smaller allocation units. Reducing to 4kb will remove this problem.

New Problem: However, reducing the memory disk allocation units will significantly reduce the speed of the phone. Not only when you use mgmaps, but also when other applications with any link to memory card.

New solution: The solution lies in NOT formatting the memory card with smaller allocation units. LEAVE the allocation units to DEFAULT. In fact you do not even need to do anything to your disks to solve the problem. The solution is downloading multiple tiles into one file. Mgmaps - tile cache allows you to download multiple tiles into one file - thus by configuring the mgtilecache to download 64 tiles per file i ended up downloading the complete map of New Delhi + NCR - (this should do for the LARGEST cities of the world as the geo spread in this tile is about 90km x 90 km (55miles x 55 miles approx)

With the 64 tiles per file, I got each file size to be about 20mb to 40 mb - Now that reduced the speed of loading the file. So finally for me 32 tiles per file worked out with each file becoming about 10Mb to 18 mb. I have an E90 (me and my wife too) and have 4Gb of memory card. For me the 32 tiles per file is NICE way to get my stored maps working - no speed issues, no loading issues.

No credits to self - but all credits to the wonderful piece of work called mgmaps.

Let me know, if anyone has any problems in getting these settings running.

Alok Sinha

Hi Alok,
using multiple tiles per file is a good option if your phone is fast enough to do this (see several discussions on pros and cons of this feature including posts by Cristian). I can tell you that even on my N95, the speed of load with #tiles/file=16 is somewhat slower (i do have to check if the slowdown is because of the new firmware 20.0.015 - it may turn out that it has nothing to do with the #tiles...)
Using FAT32 does not noticeably slowdown the system, if one makes the mgmaps and other similar directories "Hidden" (and "System" possibly). One does need to rid gallery of its cached content including all the stupid thumbnails it creates for every image/video (it makes 3 different sized images for every image it finds, just for some stupid eye candy). Using default cluster size of FAT32 greatly reduces the "slack", while it seems to run as fast as before for me (i think any degradation is < 5% from various reports)..
Ritesh

leplop

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Firstly, want to congratulate Cristian (and co.) on fantastic work on this project... it's superb!

Secondly, I've looked through this thread, and tried some of the tips to get the phone speed up for large caches, and experienced the following:

Upon reformatting the card to FAT32, I found that whenever I started my phone up, it would prompt me to format the card.

Is there anything i'm missing to stop this from happening?

Cheers,

Tom
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

Phone Type: Sony Ericsson K750i; Nokia 6120 classic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leplop wrote:
Upon reformatting the card to FAT32, I found that whenever I started my phone up, it would prompt me to format the card.

If that happens, probably your phone does not support FAT32. In this case, there is nothing you can do, else than sticking to FAT16.

BTW, you should have said what phone you have.

leplop

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... i should have clarified a little more!

I'm using a SE k530i, and even though the phone prompts me to re-format the card, if i say no, it still works completely fine! It's just rather annoying, that's all.
lacalacaloca

Phone Type: Motorola Ming A1200

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Merging MGMapsCache maps (Merging tiles) Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all I think there will never be enough thanks, greeting and congratulations for Cristian great work!! I just intalled on my Motorola Ming A1200 and it works like a charm.

I wonder if I could merge multiple tiles. I've downloaded maps (zoom 15) from Austin, Dallas and other cities using http://www.mgmaps.com/create/ and gmapmaker 0.7 Beta 2 and Beta 4.

I have something like
/sd/maps/NewYork/MGMapsCache
/sd/maps/London/MGMapsCache
/sd/maps/Worldmap/MGMapsCache

For worldmap I downloaded tiles from zoom 1 to 7 and
For Newyork and London I have a zoom from 7 to 13

I want to put newyork and london files inside worldmap by moving MGMPapsCache fro NewYork and London to Worlmap folder (using windows) Am I doing it right or I am overwriting tiles.

Perhaps my bottom line question is if there is a unique tile name for each part of the world or every time gmapmaker creates its own set for each .map file.

I tried to merge them both in a single file to avoid changing the maps location settings but it does not work properly.

Thanks.

LCL
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging MGMapsCache maps (Merging tiles) Reply with quote

lacalacaloca wrote:
Hi,

First of all I think there will never be enough thanks, greeting and congratulations for Cristian great work!! I just intalled on my Motorola Ming A1200 and it works like a charm.

I wonder if I could merge multiple tiles. I've downloaded maps (zoom 15) from Austin, Dallas and other cities using http://www.mgmaps.com/create/ and gmapmaker 0.7 Beta 2 and Beta 4.

I have something like
/sd/maps/NewYork/MGMapsCache
/sd/maps/London/MGMapsCache
/sd/maps/Worldmap/MGMapsCache

For worldmap I downloaded tiles from zoom 1 to 7 and
For Newyork and London I have a zoom from 7 to 13

I want to put newyork and london files inside worldmap by moving MGMPapsCache fro NewYork and London to Worlmap folder (using windows) Am I doing it right or I am overwriting tiles.

Perhaps my bottom line question is if there is a unique tile name for each part of the world or every time gmapmaker creates its own set for each .map file.

I tried to merge them both in a single file to avoid changing the maps location settings but it does not work properly.

Thanks.

LCL

You can merge the maps, but if you use more than one tile per file the maps will not be shown correctly for areas that would get to be stored to the same file (depending on tiles-per-file setting, this should happen only to zoomed-out levels).

If you have the maps at one tile per file, you can simply merge two folders together (cache.conf should be identical in both folders so you can keep just one).
octron
MGMapper

Phone Type: SE K800i

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was reading the post but do not see a fix, is there a way to reduce the wait time after insert/switch on the phone till the phone is ready to make calls, in my case is taking about 10 min in a 2GB card on SE K800i with under 1gb used.

I did format the card in XP Fat32 before starting, I think someone mention about formatting in Vista, will that improve the waiting time? Also tried hiding the folder "MGMapsCache" but still slow or should I hide the folders "GoogleMap_xx"

Using gMapMaker 0.7.0.0 Beta 2

Thanks
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octron wrote:
I was reading the post but do not see a fix, is there a way to reduce the wait time after insert/switch on the phone till the phone is ready to make calls, in my case is taking about 10 min in a 2GB card on SE K800i with under 1gb used.

You can download the maps and store them as multiple tiles per file (available in gmapmaker 0.7 beta 4). Then you'll have less files and the insert time will be reduced.

Cristian
wam
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia E75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card Reply with quote

@lice wrote:
After setting the tile folders' MGMapsCacheV1 attribute to 'hidden' (by means of PC) this problem disappears and card opens quickly as before.
MGmaps still "sees" tiles without any problems.

Using Nokia N95 (8GB) with MGMaps 1.40.

If the attributes of MGMapsCache folder is set to hidden MGMaps cannot see the folder either, hence saved maps are not available.

Work Around;

Select All folders/files in MGMapsCahe directory and hide them (not hiding the folder MGMapsCache)
octron
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
octron wrote:

You can download the maps and store them as multiple tiles per file (available in gmapmaker 0.7 beta 4). Then you'll have less files and the insert time will be reduced.

Cristian

Thanks Cristian what will the recommended setting be to make it faster start but when using it doesn't have delay loading? Hash Size "1", Tile per file "256"?

Thanks
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octron wrote:
Thanks Cristian what will the recommended setting be to make it faster start but when using it doesn't have delay loading? Hash Size "1", Tile per file "256"?

Yes, try that.
octron
MGMapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian

Thanks for the update on the GMapmaker software, I have over 1gb of maps in my card created with "Hash Size "1", Tile per file "256" and after restart only takes under 1 minute to fully start.

I have another question, I got today my GPS receiver "Holux Car GPS Bluetooth Receiver (M-1000B)" I got it working with GMaps only problem I have is that when I have a position on the map but drive out of that tile the maps do not move with it, so my view on the screen is the same until I click on 9 to show the map to the location that I'm as per the GPS signal. Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octron wrote:
I have another question, I got today my GPS receiver "Holux Car GPS Bluetooth Receiver (M-1000B)" I got it working with GMaps only problem I have is that when I have a position on the map but drive out of that tile the maps do not move with it, so my view on the screen is the same until I click on 9 to show the map to the location that I'm as per the GPS signal. Any ideas how to fix that?

Make sure mobile tracking (move map) is enabled in Settings/GPS, then the map is moved as your position changes. It temporarily stops moving if you press a key on the phone, but should resume after the "auto-enable interval" configured (30 seconds by default).
octron
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

Make sure mobile tracking (move map) is enabled in Settings/GPS, then the map is moved as your position changes. It temporarily stops moving if you press a key on the phone, but should resume after the "auto-enable interval" configured (30 seconds by default).

Hi

Thanks that worked again.

My last question/suggestion, in the search under "Home country" can you add Ireland so it can be selected or let me know how can I add it.

Thanks
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octron wrote:
My last question/suggestion, in the search under "Home country" can you add Ireland so it can be selected or let me know how can I add it.

It's not possible to use Ireland as home country as there is no "maps.google.ie" website.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: JBed vs. IBM J9 Reply with quote

The discussion about using JBed instead of IBM J9 (WEME) was moved here: http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1816
zillion42
Junior

Phone Type: nokia e65

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazyly i haven't read all four pages of this thread... But great input I got from what I read....

I am currently storing 682.371.105 Bytes which occupy 771.227.648 Bytes on my standard FAT SD which has a very small block size. It runs down to 650MB real data stored on 735MB of my SD. Alltogether only 5337 Files in 17 Directories... I have just hidden them to check if that has any speed improvements. So far i haven't noticed any...

What I know for sure though is the fact that if I hadn't adjusted the downloaded tiles in gMapMaker to Hash Size 1 with 32 Tiles per File this amount of Data would have absolutly wrecked my phones memory... Hope that helps anyone...
shinyclef
Junior

Phone Type: HP iPaq 110 PocketPC, Windows Mobile 6 Classic (not a phone)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to set up mgmaps for when I go to Japan. If everything goes well, I will buy a gps receiver to go with it so I don't get lost Very Happy

My goal is to use only google road maps (no satellite or hybrid images) for the city of Osaka. I did some tests from that map creator site, and it looks like there are lots of tiles Neutral. I also read the forums and discovered that 1 tile per file will lead to huge hard drive space.

There are a few things I'd like to ask.
Firstly, I will point out that I am using a dedicated pocketpc with windows mobile 6, not a phone.
Apparently this is the processor: 624 MHz Marvell XScale PXA310 with hardware video decoding.
I'm not sure how this compares with the latest phones, but hopefully it compares well. The reason I mention the processor is because of the tiles per file issue. Now, I ran a test to check out speed differences. I downloaded about 250 tiles, all of japan from zoom 1-9, using each different tiles per file setting. I didn't notice any difference at all to be honest... but at 256, I guess there was no completely full file. But even between the other settings, I didn't notice any difference and I panned around and zoomed in an out.
Is this a reasonable test, or does the loading speed of tiles from a file change as you get many more files?
Obviously I have to choose 1 setting right from the start otherwise I'll have to redownload everything right?

So, let's say I wanted to download like, 100,000 tiles (I know, lol.)
At 256 tiles per file, I wonder, can I fit that in 1gb? Neutral Or maybe 80,000? Will google block me? lol. And if they do half way, and I continue a couple days later, will it still work?

The other thing is about overlapping. If I download an area one day, and then download an extension of that another day (with a little bit of overlap), will the program correctly add tiles to the right files? Or will it create new files for already existing tiles and thus create a problem...

So, long story short!
For a 624 MHz PocketPC, will 64 or 256 tiles per file get slower when more files are created? Or will some testing with low numbers of files give a good indication?
Is overlap a problem when downloading extra parts for a map?
And, how much space does say, 50,000 tiles take with 64 or 256 tiles per file (rough guess.)

Sorry if these are annoying questions ^^;;
This program is great ^^
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinyclef wrote:
There are a few things I'd like to ask.
Firstly, I will point out that I am using a dedicated pocketpc with windows mobile 6, not a phone.
Apparently this is the processor: 624 MHz Marvell XScale PXA310 with hardware video decoding.
I'm not sure how this compares with the latest phones, but hopefully it compares well. The reason I mention the processor is because of the tiles per file issue. Now, I ran a test to check out speed differences. I downloaded about 250 tiles, all of japan from zoom 1-9, using each different tiles per file setting. I didn't notice any difference at all to be honest... but at 256, I guess there was no completely full file. But even between the other settings, I didn't notice any difference and I panned around and zoomed in an out.
Is this a reasonable test, or does the loading speed of tiles from a file change as you get many more files?
Obviously I have to choose 1 setting right from the start otherwise I'll have to redownload everything right?

I think it will work just fine with 64 tiles per file, and probably with 256 too. If you download to an existing MGMapsCache folder, the settings for the existing cache should be loaded (and the settings you select in gMapMaker should be ignored).

shinyclef wrote:
So, let's say I wanted to download like, 100,000 tiles (I know, lol.)
At 256 tiles per file, I wonder, can I fit that in 1gb?

It depends on the number of "neutral" tiles as you say... A tile with actual data can be 20-30kB, while a neutral tile is like 100 bytes, that means that if you have at least 60-70% neutral tiles they will definitely fit in 1GB.

The space "wasted" can be approximated easily based on your allocation size (16kB for FAT16 and 1GB) and the number of files. For instance 100,000 tiles @ 256 tiles/file gives about 400 files. Average space wasted for a file is half the allocation size, 8kB * 400 files = 3.2MB wasted. You can see it's negligible compared to the space used.

shinyclef wrote:
Neutral Or maybe 80,000? Will google block me? lol.

I don't think they will block... but you never know Smile

shinyclef wrote:
And if they do half way, and I continue a couple days later, will it still work?

Yes

shinyclef wrote:
The other thing is about overlapping. If I download an area one day, and then download an extension of that another day (with a little bit of overlap), will the program correctly add tiles to the right files? Or will it create new files for already existing tiles and thus create a problem...

There will be no problem, the tiles will be added to the right files and new files will be created as needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: