Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mobile GPS on Sprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberbiker
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Workes Fine on Sanyo 8400 - Helpful Tips Reply with quote

Mobile Gmaps works well on the Sanyo 8400 too. For the laymen, here are some specific tips.

1. Activate necessary Sprint phone features
- Go to https://developer.sprint.com/site/global/develop/activation_device/p_device_activation.jsp
- Register for a developer account.
- Click on "Device/ESN Activation Go there now (https://developer.sprint.com/searchHandsets.do)
- Login with your uid/pw
- Click the "Add Device" link and enter the info
- Select "Active" under Actions in the device line (leave Release as "No")

2. Register Mobile Gmaps (necessary to use application and tracked from website)
- Go to www.gmap-track.com
- Register the phone
- Click the validation link from the confirmation email and enter the phones username and trackerID to activate the account

3. Download Mobile Gmaps - two methods
#1) From phone: Go to http://wap.mgmaps.com and download the Sprint release named signed.jad (http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_sprint.jad)
#2) Using uploader:
- Go to http://wap.mgmaps.com and download the Sprint release named signed.jad to your computer.
- use an uploader like http://rumkin.com/tools/sprint/ to upload the that file from the computer to your phone.

4. Application settings to track on Web
- Go to Settings>GPS>Web Tracking and enter the username and trackingID from Paragraph 2 above.
- Go to Settings>GPS>Web Tracking>Show Your Positiono on the Web and check Yes

5. For info on using Mobile Gmaps
- www.mgmaps.com/doc.php
- http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=74

6. To see all phones (willing to be seen) globally go to www.gmap-track.com/public.php
Kenster
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Sprint Reply with quote

Hey Cristian, any further development for sprint users?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet... once the offline map browsing code is stable I'll include it in the Sprint version and create a new release.

Cristian
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Kenster wrote:

New alpha version available for Sprint GPS. This version includes support for maps stored on the phone - but as far as I know most Samsung phones will not support this feature because they do not have the JSR-75 API. Download URL: http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha3.html.

Cristian
pasafire6996
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: samsung upstage Reply with quote

i have tried everything to get the gps to work on my phone...it took awhile to get it to download properly and now that i got it to download i'm getting a GPS error...gps position not yet determined make sure phone can receive/determine gps info...any ideas would be helpful. I have the Samsung M620 "Upstage"...it works on other upstages that people have reported...
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Message from Sprint's legal department Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Kenster wrote:
How do us Sprint users input the IP/Port manually??

That's not possible yet, but I'll add it with the next Sprint version.

I've downloaded the new version, but I still don't see an option to input this. Where can I find the option?

Also, does anyone know or know where to find the Bell Canada server info?

Thanks in advance.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Message from Sprint's legal department Reply with quote

cmregado wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
Kenster wrote:
How do us Sprint users input the IP/Port manually??

That's not possible yet, but I'll add it with the next Sprint version.

I've downloaded the new version, but I still don't see an option to input this. Where can I find the option?

Also, does anyone know or know where to find the Bell Canada server info?

Thanks in advance.

Actually this option has not been added yet... Unfortunately Bell Canada will most likely not work with this change alone, see this thread for more info.

Cristian
Wiz99
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Kenster wrote:

New alpha version available for Sprint GPS. This version includes support for maps stored on the phone - but as far as I know most Samsung phones will not support this feature because they do not have the JSR-75 API. Download URL: http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha3.html.

Cristian

Just FYI...Tried the new alpha version (v1.34.02) on my LG Fusic. It seems to be working fine. Haven't had a chance to try the stored maps feature (not really sure how to use it yet...need to read the forums).
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Wiz99 wrote:
Just FYI...Tried the new alpha version (v1.34.02) on my LG Fusic. It seems to be working fine. Haven't had a chance to try the stored maps feature (not really sure how to use it yet...need to read the forums).

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll wait for more feedback then I'll move it over the main sprint version.

Cristian
Bigjohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: m610 Reply with quote

The "news" says you need 1.33.11 to fix some problems with gmaps, but the sprint version you can download is 1.33.08? and it won't download from the WAP site - but the 'standard' one (1.33.11) will?

sorry, there is a lot to read here... just trying to figure out how to get this on my m610 before I have to take a road trip....

OH, does this app have audio prompts? just curious.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: m610 Reply with quote

Bigjohn wrote:
The "news" says you need 1.33.11 to fix some problems with gmaps, but the sprint version you can download is 1.33.08? and it won't download from the WAP site - but the 'standard' one (1.33.11) will?

For Sprint, you can get version 1.34.02 (development), it is signed and is mostly identical with v1.33.11.

Bigjohn wrote:
sorry, there is a lot to read here... just trying to figure out how to get this on my m610 before I have to take a road trip....

OH, does this app have audio prompts? just curious.

No audio prompts... (yet)

Cristian
Bigjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a company that has text2speach capabilites... I could record a bunch of them for you, in english at least...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjohn wrote:
I work for a company that has text2speach capabilites... I could record a bunch of them for you, in english at least...

Things are a bit more complicated... Currently the application retrieves directions from Google Maps and they are shown on the map. Before voice instructions are added (like "turn left/right after X meters/yards"), I will need to update the application to first display such instructions, without voice. This, in turn, needs other updates for the application: compare the GPS position with the actual point of the route to determine where exactly the user is related to the route (the GPS position will never be the same as a point on the route, even if the user follows the route exactly there's an accuracy involved), then compute the distance to the next waypoint and the direction that the user should turn to. I suspect this is too much for a mobile phone to compute, so I'd probably have all this computed on an intermediary server (the mgmaps.com server), again more trouble ... Smile

Anyway, if you can help with recording, that would be great - though I don't know if/when it will be included in MGmaps.

Regards,
Cristian
theban

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Fusic working well, Web Tracking problems though... Reply with quote

First just wanna say, excellent work to Cristian and his crew. I have a Fusic, all is working but just a few bugs. The GPS is a little skittish, getting an accurate lock most of the time but then shifting my location two or three blocks from where I actually am. I believe this has something to do with whether the unit is locking actually on the sat or using the towers to figure my location.

Also I cannot get web tracking to work, I keep getting error message on my phone telling me to check my log in credential with the gmaps web tracking server. Anyone else have this problem?

It was a trial to get it all set up but really fun, again kudos for all your work.
Wiz99
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Wiz99 wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll wait for more feedback then I'll move it over the main sprint version.

Cristian

Cristian,

For some reason, I can't get either the 1.34.02 or the 1.33.11 versions to work on my Fusic anymore. GPS just refuses to work. Unfortunately I am not sure what changed when it stopped working. It may have been moving from the 1.34.02 to the 1.33.11 versions, but I've completely deleted MGMaps from my phone and tried both versions again without any luck. If I clear the debug log, then try to get my location using the "Where am I?" function, nothing shows up in the log. Any ideas? Anything I can try to help figure out what is going on?

Thanks!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Wiz99 wrote:
Cristian,

For some reason, I can't get either the 1.34.02 or the 1.33.11 versions to work on my Fusic anymore. GPS just refuses to work. Unfortunately I am not sure what changed when it stopped working. It may have been moving from the 1.34.02 to the 1.33.11 versions, but I've completely deleted MGMaps from my phone and tried both versions again without any luck. If I clear the debug log, then try to get my location using the "Where am I?" function, nothing shows up in the log. Any ideas? Anything I can try to help figure out what is going on?

Thanks!

Do older versions of MGMaps still work? Have you enabled GPS in Settings/GPS/Select Device? Does it show that you have a fix in the icon at the top-right of your screen?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fusic working well, Web Tracking problems though... Reply with quote

theban wrote:
Also I cannot get web tracking to work, I keep getting error message on my phone telling me to check my log in credential with the gmaps web tracking server. Anyone else have this problem?

Send me a PM and let me know your username on gmap-track.com, I'll look over the server logs and let you know if I find anything.

Cristian
cowtipinkid32
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Getting mgmaps to work on sanyo 8400 Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to everyone who wrote this amazing application. I only found a few bugs. Sometimes the gps will not get a lock despite exiting and running the program over again several times. I found that if you restart your phone (take the battery out) it will fix this. Also, when you are trying to get directions to an address, I found that it will say "no route found" unless you change "from" to "map center" and "to" to place. The last problem I have is that when the phone is taking you some where (through directions), the gps will stop tracking you for good if it goes for a short while (can be as short as 20 seconds) without any gps reception.

Suggestions: is there any way to refresh the gps quicker than 3 seconds? (i switched the option to 1 second but it still does 3 seconds) Also, an area that tells your how far away your next turn is would be nice.

I had some trouble getting mgmaps to work on my sanyo 8400 but I finally got it. I know these steps are posted all over but I added a few at the end that were necessary. Also, I was pretty worried about screwing with the developer account but it seems that it did not do anything bad.

1. Activate necessary Sprint phone features
- Go to https://developer.sprint.com/site/global/develop/activation_device/p_device_activation.jsp
- Register for a developer account.
- Click on "Device/ESN Activation Go there now (https://developer.sprint.com/searchHandsets.do)
- Login with your uid/pw
- Click the "Add Device" link and enter the info
- Select "Active" under Actions in the device line (leave Release as "No")

2. Register Mobile Gmaps (necessary to use application and tracked from website)
- Go to www.gmap-track.com
- Register the phone
- Click the validation link from the confirmation email and enter the phones username and trackerID to activate the account

3. Download Mobile Gmaps - two methods
#1) From phone: Go to http://wap.mgmaps.com and download the Sprint release named signed.jad (http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_sprint.jad)
#2) Using uploader:
- Go to http://wap.mgmaps.com and download the Sprint release named signed.jad to your computer.
- use an uploader like http://rumkin.com/tools/sprint/ to upload the that file from the computer to your phone.

4. Application settings to track on Web
- Go to Settings>GPS>Web Tracking and enter the username and trackingID from Paragraph 2 above.
- Go to Settings>GPS>Web Tracking>Show Your Positiono on the Web and check Yes

5. Extra steps I took.
-Get your msl code from a sprint rep. Just call *2 and tell the rep that you are trying to reset some features on your phone and you need the msl code. (it should be a 6 digit code)
-on your phone press ##3282#
-then go to Advanced, Edit, Then enter your 6 digit msl code, Dev. Certificate, then switch it to "on". Then exit out by selecting the "done" options. your phone should restart.

After you activate your developer account online, it may take a few hours for it to register with your phone.

Thank you programmers for freeing me from paying $5 a month!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting mgmaps to work on sanyo 8400 Reply with quote

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
Also, when you are trying to get directions to an address, I found that it will say "no route found" unless you change "from" to "map center" and "to" to place.

This should be fixed in version 1.33.11/1.34.02... What version of MGMaps are you using?

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
The last problem I have is that when the phone is taking you some where (through directions), the gps will stop tracking you for good if it goes for a short while (can be as short as 20 seconds) without any gps reception.

I'll check this problem, I think the app does not detect disconnection from the GPS at all (for Sprint GPS).

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
Suggestions: is there any way to refresh the gps quicker than 3 seconds? (i switched the option to 1 second but it still does 3 seconds)

No, we tried with refresh to 1 second but then the app worked for a little while then stopped.

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
Also, an area that tells your how far away your next turn is would be nice.

I'll keep that in mind for a future version.

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
I had some trouble getting mgmaps to work on my sanyo 8400 but I finally got it. I know these steps are posted all over but I added a few at the end that were necessary. Also, I was pretty worried about screwing with the developer account but it seems that it did not do anything bad.

Thanks, I have included these steps in the installation instructions.

Cristian
cowtipinkid32
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using version 1.34.02

thanks Cristian
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: