Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mobile GPS on Sprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swak

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Will This Work Now? Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't need to have a signed application to access the API! You can enable access by unsigned applications!

Cristian hope this is the answer for Sprint?

Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'll discuss about this with Jesse (jessesanford), but as I understand every user will need to create a developer account on the Sprint website to be able to unlock the application, right?

Cristian
jessesanford
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: sprint developer handset developer root activation Reply with quote

By using the sprint developer root activation tool located at:
https://developer.sprint.com/searchHandsets.do

Once you have activated the developer root it will allow you to access the restricted api's but you will still need a verisign cert for signing the app. You will not have to get sprint to sign it though.

Currently the only way that I know of getting an app onto a samsung a9xx phone and bypassing the cert is via the qpst hack outlined on sprintusers.com:

First head out to http://www.samsung.com and search for A900 drivers. Download and install them, then reboot (Yes, you must reboot)

Next, download and install QPST if you don't already have it (seriously, just search google for QPST2_7.zip, you WILL find it)

Call Sprint (*2) and ask a rep for the MSL for your phone. They will give it to you with no problems, if you get an ass on the line, thank him/her for their time, hang up and try again.

Once you have your MSL, start up QPST from your start menu and click the "Ports" tab. Click "Add new port" and type in COM3 for both fields. If your phone doesn't come up on that one then try also adding COM4.

Once your phone shows up in the Active Phones field click the "Start Clients" menu and click "EFS Explorer"

Put your MSL in the SPC field and click OK. Let EFS explore traverse your file system.

Now comes the fun part which I'm going to copy and paste from notepad, hopefully it will be nice and complete for you

Browse to /brew/mod/obione/jas/index/ In there you'll find a bunch of .txt files, these files are references to all the custom files on your phone. 1.txt and 2.txt are OnDemand and Sprint Music Store, respectively. The rest are the various demos sprint has put on your phone from the factory.

What you want to do is find the .txt file for what you want to upload. If you want to upload an app grab 8.txt, which is the Weather Channel reference file. If you want to upload a game, grab 3.txt (tetris demo). im or email app - 10.txt. ringer - 12.txt. screen saver - 13.txt.

Once it's on your computer, save it to the next available number for that directory (the largest number in mine is 15.txt, so i would rename 8.txt to 16.txt).

For games, apps and IM/Email apps:
Open up your .txt file and change JARF to 16 and JADF to 16 (in my example). If you don't have a jad for the file I think you can leave the number field blank.
Right click on the jar you want to upload and put the size in bytes of the file into MSIZ
The PERM field is what you would find under settings. there are six menu items when you view settings on a file using your phone, and coincidentally there is a 0 based array of 6 fields in the PERM field with different values:
0 - Network
1 - Location (GPS)
2 - File Connection
3 - PIM
4 - Sprint Extensions
5 - Bluetooth
If you want you can change the download URL (DURL), but it's not that important.
You'll obviously want to change the NAME and VEND fields to their respective values (JAMDAT Bowling, JAMDAT Mobile, Inc. - for JAMDAT bowling)
After you've done that find the .JAD and .JAR you want to upload and rename them to (in my example) 16.jad and 16.jar
Click and drag your .txt file into the /brew/mod/obione/jas/index/ directory, and click and drag your jad and jar files into the /brew/shared/jas/content/ directory

In order to get the app to work on anyones phone you still need to follow standard procedures as outlined in this post:

Thompson - Sprint Technical Support
Overall Rating:0 Subject:
re: motorola midlet signing
Date:
2005-12-05 at 08:26 AM CST
If you MIDlet doesn`t use restricted APIs, you don't have to sign it to install it on the phone. Restricted APIs can only be accessed if the MIDlet is digitally signed. For Sprint, you obtain a Verisign certificate, sign your app, and make sure you have the proper permissions set in the MIDlet's JAD file. Once the app is ready to go, then you submit it to Sprint where it gets signed with a different cert that allows the app to be installed on customer phones. I'm not sure that the Nextel follows the same procedure.

Ultimatley Sprint needs to get a hold of the midlet in order for their customers to download and use it without hassle.

If you want more info search the developer forrums for keywords like:
Signing, developer root, certificate etc.
Tom Dalton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Any developments? Reply with quote

It's exciting to see the development happening with mobile phones. I'm very interested to see this app on my Fusic, if you guys are able to make it work. I have nothing to offer but encouragement, sorry. Wink
arpruss
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by author]

Last edited by arpruss on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arpruss wrote:
I downloaded the QJAE docs, and made a dummy Gps package following them. (You can get it from http://prussfamily.us/qjae.zip ; you can use it under GPL 2 or later or BSD revised licenses.) This was missing all the static final constants (the docs don't specify their values), but was good enough to compile GpsTester.java (I made some changes, but the original source would have compiled, too). After compiling, I just deleted the dummy classes from my jar file, copied to the phone with BitPim. I do get a dialogue asking whether to enable location access, and then eventually I get a GPS timeout error, so I think it's connecting to the GPS API just fine. That may just be because I don't have Vision, and so the phone can't connect to the location server.

Some things have changed since the last post in this topic... I already have an implementation based on the main qjae implementation, just waiting for someone to be able to test it - as I don't live in the U.S. so I have no access to the Sprint network. Let me know if you would be able to beta-test and I'll send it to you by email or upload it on the server.

Cristian
arpruss
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Some things have changed since the last post in this topic... I already have an implementation based on the main qjae implementation,

Where did you get the main qjae implementation from? I'd like to get it...

Quote:
just waiting for someone to be able to test it - as I don't live in the U.S. so I have no access to the Sprint network. Let me know if you would be able to beta-test and I'll send it to you by email or upload it on the server.

I may sign up for a Vision trial, so feel free to email it to me. No guarantees I'll be able to get to it in less than a week.

goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Sprint Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
arpruss wrote:
I downloaded the QJAE docs, and made a dummy Gps package following them. (You can get it from http://prussfamily.us/qjae.zip ; you can use it under GPL 2 or later or BSD revised licenses.) This was missing all the static final constants (the docs don't specify their values), but was good enough to compile GpsTester.java (I made some changes, but the original source would have compiled, too). After compiling, I just deleted the dummy classes from my jar file, copied to the phone with BitPim. I do get a dialogue asking whether to enable location access, and then eventually I get a GPS timeout error, so I think it's connecting to the GPS API just fine. That may just be because I don't have Vision, and so the phone can't connect to the location server.

Some things have changed since the last post in this topic... I already have an implementation based on the main qjae implementation, just waiting for someone to be able to test it - as I don't live in the U.S. so I have no access to the Sprint network. Let me know if you would be able to beta-test and I'll send it to you by email or upload it on the server.

Cristian

Cristian...

I am a sprint pcs vision user with an A920 phone, would love to beta test the implementation for this. email me...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the alpha version from http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmapssp.html (open it on your phone)... let me know how it goes. You may need to unlock the application as described by others previously on this thread.

Cristian
arpruss
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Get the alpha version from http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmapssp.html (open it on your phone)... let me know how it goes. You may need to unlock the application as described by others previously on this thread.

If you unlock by editing the __access.txt file as described in my post, you won't need to edit the index files. In fact, your phone should edit the index files for you in accordance with your answers to the qeustion whether to enable location access.

For a simpler test of just the GPS code, you might also try editing the __access.txt file and then trying GpsTester (http://www.shaftek.org/projects.shtml in the New Download section). Make sure you're outdoors (just to be sure). Run GpsTester, select "Start LBS". You should be asked whether to enable location services. Agree. Then select "Get Location". You should get a scrolling "No error". At this point GpsTester is downloading ephemeris data and waiting for a fix. If you wait (it may take a couple of minutes especially if it doesn't work), it'll change either into your position or into a GPS error (I get "GPS Error: Timeout", but I don't have network access which is probably necessary).

In case anybody is interested, I've update the dummy QJAE package to be complete: http://prussfamily.us/qjae.zip

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arpruss wrote:
If you unlock by editing the __access.txt file as described in my post, you won't need to edit the index files. In fact, your phone should edit the index files for you in accordance with your answers to the qeustion whether to enable location access.

For a simpler test of just the GPS code, you might also try editing the __access.txt file and then trying GpsTester.

Great, and if that works - can anyone do the same with the alpha version of MGMaps at http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmapssp.html?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one other thing - even if it doesn't work, please look in Help/Debug and let me know if you find any GPS-related messages there (like "GPS: Starting gps service of type: ...")

Cristian
goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
And one other thing - even if it doesn't work, please look in Help/Debug and let me know if you find any GPS-related messages there (like "GPS: Starting gps service of type: ...")

Cristian

Installed the alpha version. First start I enabled GPS and restarted. Now the program will not launch. While the top of the screen reads 'Application Loading, please wait...' an error appears at the bottom titled 'Unhandled Exception' and displaying the text 'NullPointerException'.
goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goesh wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Cristian

Installed the alpha version. First start I enabled GPS and restarted. Now the program will not launch. While the top of the screen reads 'Application Loading, please wait...' an error appears at the bottom titled 'Unhandled Exception' and displaying the text 'NullPointerException'.

About 3 seconds after displaying the error, the application closes and I get no opporunity to view any menu option, including the debug.
goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I tried the following:

arpruss wrote:

(1) GPS access is easy. Use BitPim to download /Brew/__access.txt (I think that's the file--it's got some pretty obvious name and is in the /Brew directory). Save a backup of it. At the end there is a list of what signed and unsigned apps are permitted to do. Add an entry to the section for unsigned apps (at the very end) that says "blanket(oneshot): gps_api". That's all!

however, on my A920, the file isnt /Brew/__access.txt, it is /brew/mod/obione/_policy.txt

I am going to replace the original _policy.txt to see if the test results the same.
goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arpruss wrote:

(1) GPS access is easy. Use BitPim to download /Brew/__access.txt (I think that's the file--it's got some pretty obvious name and is in the /Brew directory). Save a backup of it. At the end there is a list of what signed and unsigned apps are permitted to do. Add an entry to the section for unsigned apps (at the very end) that says "blanket(oneshot): gps_api". That's all!

I also tried testing the GpsTester.jar application as suggested by arpruss, however, with the suggested change of my _policy.txt file, I dont get any errors other than a GPS Error: Timeout. I do have vision and had the phone outdoors with clear line of sight to the sky.

Last edited by goesh on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another alpha version available at http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha3.html. I hope you'll be able to at least start this one. Anyway, can you try GpsTester first? - http://www.shaftek.org/projects.shtml in the New Download section

Cristian
goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
I have another alpha version available at http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha3.html. I hope you'll be able to at least start this one.

will try right now...

Cristian Streng wrote:
Anyway, can you try GpsTester first? - http://www.shaftek.org/projects.shtml in the New Download section

Smile
arpruss
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goesh wrote:
arpruss wrote:

I also tried testing the GpsTester.jar application as suggested by arpruss, however, with the suggested change of my _policy.txt file, I dont get any errors other than a GPS Error: Timeout. I do have vision and had the phone outdoors with clear line of sight to the sky.

I suppose you did get a query whether to enable GPS?

I am starting to suspect, based on some stuff I read, that something special needs to be done to gain access to Sprint's location server. I don't know if the server has some way of checking whether the app is signed, but that might be one issue.

I wonder if one could run one's own location server?

goesh
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
I have another alpha version available at http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha3.html. I hope you'll be able to at least start this one. Anyway, can you try GpsTester first? - http://www.shaftek.org/projects.shtml in the New Download section

Cristian

This version does launch, but I get no location data.

Help -> DEBUG:

EOF

DEBUG: Starting MGMaps
DEBUG: GPS: Starting gps service of type: GPSInternal 1160682491.933:
DEBUG: GPS: gps service settings: 1160682493.592:
DEBUG: optimization type=1 1160682493.593:
DEBUG: qos=255 1160682493.594:
DEBUG: server type=0 1160682493.594:
DEBUG: An exception has occured! Exception class java.lang.illegalArgumentException, message: Invalid number of fixes, description: Error initializing Qualcomm location services 1160682493.595:

.....NUMEROUS MAP DOWNLOAD MESSAGES FROM GOOGLE......

DEBUG: An exception has occured! Exception class java.lang.illegalArgumentException, message: Invalid number of fixes, description: Error initializing Qualcomm location services 1160682554.115
DEBUG: An exception has occured! Exception class java.io.IOException, message: null, desctiption: Error downloading 1160682493.596

BOF
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: