Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mobile GPS on Sprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevelv

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this on the PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul) yet?

It runs WM6 and has A-GPS so in theory it should work but I'm guessing it's using the horrible Sprint proprietory data standard.

I'll give it a try if someone thinks it might work Smile
Wiz99
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Wiz99 wrote:
Cristian,

For some reason, I can't get either the 1.34.02 or the 1.33.11 versions to work on my Fusic anymore. GPS just refuses to work. Unfortunately I am not sure what changed when it stopped working. It may have been moving from the 1.34.02 to the 1.33.11 versions, but I've completely deleted MGMaps from my phone and tried both versions again without any luck. If I clear the debug log, then try to get my location using the "Where am I?" function, nothing shows up in the log. Any ideas? Anything I can try to help figure out what is going on?

Thanks!

Do older versions of MGMaps still work? Have you enabled GPS in Settings/GPS/Select Device? Does it show that you have a fix in the icon at the top-right of your screen?

Just tried a couple older versions with no luck (1.33.07 and 1.33.08). Same results with the GPS and the maps did't even work on those old versions. Switched back to the 1.33.11 and setup the Internal GPS in the settings (same as I have had in the past). At first it wouldn't work, but I believe I managed to get it working. For some reason it seems that switching the "GPS Read Line method" in the Advanced settings from Default to New Method fixed the problem. Now even if I switch it back to the Default method it works fine.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the two GPS Read Line Methods?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sprint Reply with quote

Wiz99 wrote:
Just tried a couple older versions with no luck (1.33.07 and 1.33.0Cool. Same results with the GPS and the maps did't even work on those old versions. Switched back to the 1.33.11 and setup the Internal GPS in the settings (same as I have had in the past). At first it wouldn't work, but I believe I managed to get it working. For some reason it seems that switching the "GPS Read Line method" in the Advanced settings from Default to New Method fixed the problem. Now even if I switch it back to the Default method it works fine.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the two GPS Read Line Methods?

They are simply implementation differences but they only apply to Bluetooth GPS! So it most certainly does not have anything to do with the internal GPS functionality... probably it didn't work earlier because of some other reason.

Cristian
cowtipinkid32
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cristian,

the newest version that you released a few days ago has seemed to have fixed this problem: "Also, when you are trying to get directions to an address, I found that it will say "no route found" unless you change "from" to "map center" and "to" to place."

i havent had a chance to test the other problem with gps reception yet.

there is also only one other bug that i found while playing around with the app. The #8 option "send" which could be used to send the app to another phone over bluetooth doesnt work. I try to send the app to "bluetooth device" since that is the only available option. I get the error message: "uncaught exception or error occurred during execution of mobile gmaps." Even though this would be a pretty cool feature, i understand that it is probably extremely complicated.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
there is also only one other bug that i found while playing around with the app. The #8 option "send" which could be used to send the app to another phone over bluetooth doesnt work. I try to send the app to "bluetooth device" since that is the only available option. I get the error message: "uncaught exception or error occurred during execution of mobile gmaps." Even though this would be a pretty cool feature, i understand that it is probably extremely complicated.

Yeah, that Send option is pretty useless and I'll remove it in a future version (and replace it with something else).

Cristian
cowtipinkid32
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cristian,

I switched my phone from the sanyo 8400 to the katana dlx. I enabled the developer cert on the phone by going through the ##3832# but never went to the sprint developer site to register my new phone and mgmaps works! Did you fix it so you dont have to go to the site anymore?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowtipinkid32 wrote:
hey cristian,

I switched my phone from the sanyo 8400 to the katana dlx. I enabled the developer cert on the phone by going through the ##3832# but never went to the sprint developer site to register my new phone and mgmaps works! Did you fix it so you dont have to go to the site anymore?

No, I did not make any changes regarding this functionality... I guess it just works now.

Cristian
zangetsu
MGMapper

Phone Type: Sprint Motorola Q

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm trying to upload the jad and jar files to my v3m razr sprint, with qpst. when i try to view the txt files in the jas index, they open up as blank txt files.

what am i doing wrong?
zangetsu
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm also getting this error:

error code (253) : failed to transmit request packet
swinn
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few releases I've been unable to download and get this error message:

Data Error 906
Invalid Descriptor
Attribute Format

This occurs with 1.35.02, 1.35.00 as well as 1.33.11.

1.34.02 works fine as well as 1.33.08.

My phone is a Sanyo MM5600.
zangetsu
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok! i copied the files, but unfortunately the phone still won't let gmaps access the internal gps, only the file browser. i don't know how to change those settings.

i've uploaded the right jar/jad files and edited the 16.txt (the # it is in my phone)

what else should i do?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swinn wrote:
The last few releases I've been unable to download and get this error message:

Data Error 906
Invalid Descriptor
Attribute Format

This occurs with 1.35.02, 1.35.00 as well as 1.33.11.

1.34.02 works fine as well as 1.33.08.

My phone is a Sanyo MM5600.

I think I know what caused this problem (incomplete jar path in the jad file), it should be fixed now. By the way, there is no v1.33.11 for Sprint.

Cristian
swinn
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
I think I know what caused this problem (incomplete jar path in the jad file), it should be fixed now. By the way, there is no v1.33.11 for Sprint.

Cristian

It is fixed. Thanks.

Also, v1.33.11 for Sprint is the second thing listed at http://wap.mgmaps.com unless it is mislabeled.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swinn wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Cristian

It is fixed. Thanks.

Also, v1.33.11 for Sprint is the second thing listed at http://wap.mgmaps.com unless it is mislabeled.

Right, it's actually v1.34.02 (the code is the same).

Cristian
MrPete
Power User

Phone Type: Palm 755p

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: For debugging, a GPS history summary? Reply with quote

Cell-GPS is soooo up-and-down... wondering about possibility of simple historical summary stats. Maybe something like

SESSION DAY WEEK MONTH ALL
Good nnn nnn nnn nnn nnn
Error "no data" ...etc
Error "xyzzy"
Error "deadbeef"
dchall8
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Fusic this week and installed MGMaps (1.36.00) on Aug 2. GREAT APP! It installed just like you said it would, and it works like a charm. I'm working my way through the settings to get it the way I want it.

I work in remote areas of Texas where Sprint doesn't cover. As I am roaming, I notice I lose my GPS position. Apparently (and maybe this is obvious to you) the GPS signal comes from Sprint towers and not from the real GPS satellites. What that means to me is when I really am lost, I am probably really lost; however, at least I can pull up a map of where I ought to be and maybe figure out how to get out. I need to check these forums to see if there is a solution to getting a signal while roaming.

THANKS, Cristian, for the great program!!
bk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dchall8 wrote:
I just got a Fusic this week and installed MGMaps (1.36.00) on Aug 2. GREAT APP! It installed just like you said it would, and it works like a charm. I'm working my way through the settings to get it the way I want it.

I work in remote areas of Texas where Sprint doesn't cover. As I am roaming, I notice I lose my GPS position. Apparently (and maybe this is obvious to you) the GPS signal comes from Sprint towers and not from the real GPS satellites. What that means to me is when I really am lost, I am probably really lost; however, at least I can pull up a map of where I ought to be and maybe figure out how to get out. I need to check these forums to see if there is a solution to getting a signal while roaming.

THANKS, Cristian, for the great program!!

if your phone solely relied on just the GPS signal to locate itself, you'd be lost in cities or anywhere in general with obstructions to the line of site to the satellite, which is why the phone uses the cell network in addition to the GPS.
dchall8
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this application in the towns with Sprint coverage, but outside those areas, all it is is a really good map.
rwt3m
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Is there an way to tell if internal GPS is connected & W Reply with quote

dchall8 wrote:
I like this application in the towns with Sprint coverage, but outside those areas, all it is is a really good map.

I have a V3M with mgmap app loaded. I can browse map. but every time I press '9' key for 'where am I', it pop up "GPS Error, GPS position not yet determined.."

any advice?
nobody020

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Sprint K1M Reply with quote

People with the Sprint Krzr should follow the first set of V3m instructions here: http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=538

I tried to do it the BitPim/.txt modifying way, but had no luck. However, after signing up through SprintDev + Activating my phone for development, all I had to do was download the Sprint GPS version. It works great! Thanks for such a cool program Cristian!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: