Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mobile GPS on Sprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettmower

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Treo 755p and Mobile Gmaps Reply with quote

Cristian,
I know you are aware of the problems with getting your amazing program to work on the treos. I just got the new 755p a few weeks ago and have ibm java on it. It sounds to me like people with previous treos are getting alot further than I am with mine. I type the link in "http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_sprint.jad" (is this the correct URL?) and it seems like it is downloading and installing but then I get this error that says:

The
Com.qualcomm.qjae.gps.
Gps permission could not be granted for this midlet

Is there a step or work around that I am forgetting? Is there a setting that I need to change. I have my msl number. It seems like maybe sprint is making it harder to use this on their network for new phones..? Are there more updates on people that have successfully implemented the software on their treos (and can see the maps)? Let me know, Thanks so much
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Treo 755p and Mobile Gmaps Reply with quote

brettmower wrote:
Cristian,
I know you are aware of the problems with getting your amazing program to work on the treos. I just got the new 755p a few weeks ago and have ibm java on it. It sounds to me like people with previous treos are getting alot further than I am with mine. I type the link in "http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_sprint.jad" (is this the correct URL?) and it seems like it is downloading and installing but then I get this error that says:

The
Com.qualcomm.qjae.gps.
Gps permission could not be granted for this midlet

Is there a step or work around that I am forgetting? Is there a setting that I need to change. I have my msl number. It seems like maybe sprint is making it harder to use this on their network for new phones..? Are there more updates on people that have successfully implemented the software on their treos (and can see the maps)? Let me know, Thanks so much

The Sprint (Qualcomm) GPS library is not included on Palms, so the Sprint version of MGMaps can't access the GPS and doesn't even start. You can try the second Sprint version from http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=5175#5175, but I'm not sure that will work either.
SteveG75
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with the newer Katana II SCP-6650, I installed this on my phone and it works perfectly with GPS.

1- Goto https://developer.sprint.com/site/global/home/l_home.jsp
2- You will have to create a login account and activate it from an e-mail account.
3- Once activated and logged in, goto https://developer.sprint.com/site/global/develop/activation_device/p_device_activation.jsp
4- At "Device/ESN Activation Go there now" (click the link that says "Go there now")
5- Add your phone (click "Add Device")
6- PCS Phone Number: (Add your mobile number)
7- ESN or MEID: (Add your HEX: number which is found on your box or behind the battery)
8- You should see your phone listed there now. Under "Actions" select Active and press Submit. Done. Someone else said you might need to wait a few hours until the activation occurs, mine worked immediately.
9- From a computer goto this website for the latest download link for Sprint GPS:
http://www.mgmaps.com/download.php
10- I then took that link and went to sprint.com and texted it to my phone (easier than having to type it on the phone.) The version at the moment as of 9-22-07 and worked for me is http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_sprint.jad
11- Download and Run
12- When asked, select Always Allow (you will be asked twice)
13- Find the GPS option and choose Internal and Save.

Instructions on how to use the application can be found here: http://www.mgmaps.com/help.php
ja993
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveG75, I have a Katana DLX, but just had a couple questions for you since you have it working.

1) How long does it take you to lock onto a GPS position? Is it instant or does it take several minutes?

2) How often do the maps update if you have the update set to 3 seconds? When its working on my phone, I tend to only get a map update once every 45 seconds or so Sad

3) Is the speed accurate?
SteveG75
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ja993 wrote:
SteveG75, I have a Katana DLX, but just had a couple questions for you since you have it working.

1) How long does it take you to lock onto a GPS position? Is it instant or does it take several minutes?

Depending on my location. But on average it is pretty slow (15-30 seconds.) More of a novelty item for now until maps can be saved to the phone to pull up instantly (hopefully on a future version) Smile

ja993 wrote:

2) How often do the maps update if you have the update set to 3 seconds? When its working on my phone, I tend to only get a map update once every 45 seconds or so Sad

Sometimes it is fairly quick. I kept the 3 seconds turned on. I live in Brandon, FL and drive to St. Petersburg, FL for work so that's about an hour drive. First time I tried it) For half of the drive I'd say it was updating fairly constantly. It did lock up the phone and crash once though. I also have the cache set to 6mb though I'm not sure if it helps or not.

Second time I tried it) Worked just fine until about 5 minutes from home and the program gave me an error about updating or something. I think I basically lost my internet connection.

ja993 wrote:

3) Is the speed accurate?

Speed is right on the money. I had cruise control set on the car at 50mph and the device told me I was doing 50.7mph. I walked to my car and it said I was walking at 5.2mph (I walk fairly quickly)

But again, I don't use it very often. Not until I can get the maps to save to my phone so they don't have to download every time. I also have the zoom set to 4 or 5.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveG75 wrote:
But again, I don't use it very often. Not until I can get the maps to save to my phone so they don't have to download every time. I also have the zoom set to 4 or 5.

Well, this is not supported yet, but you should be able to pre-download the maps on your computer and upload them to your phone (if it supports JSR75). See http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=725 for details.
sanscrit
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the katana ii, is there anything you have to do before installing?

No matter what I try, it keeps giving me the 909: app auth failure.
sanscrit
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't get this to work. I've tried with both a developer enabled and unenabled phone. The sprint builds are a no go. I can install the generic build but the gps doesn't work with it.

Just a heads up.
sanscrit
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry. Ignore last few posts. The hex number on my phone did -not- match the number on my box. I guess someone at the store had two out and once and switched them by accident?

Anyway I've got this working thanks.
mck
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Why doesn't Sprint GPS work when roaming? Reply with quote

As others have noted the GPS function of MGmaps doesn't work when roaming with Sprint phones (at least with my Sprint phone). If I start MGmaps at my house (with good Sprint coverage) I get a GPS location within seconds. If I force my phone into roaming mode (menu>setup>roaming) and restart MGmaps I never get a GPS position.

Does this have something to do with the Device/ESN Activation procedure we have to go through with Sprint? Does that activation only apply while on the Sprint network?

Just curious. Well actually if there's a way to make this work when roaming it would be nice.

Thanks.

P.S. Since this is my first post here I have to say thanks Cristian Streng for this great application.

mck
raventbk
MGMapper

Phone Type: Sanyo 9000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why doesn't Sprint GPS work when roaming? Reply with quote

mck wrote:
Just curious. Well actually if there's a way to make this work when roaming it would be nice.

GPS functions work fine while roaming, as long as whatever roaming partner/cell site you're on supports AGPS.

At my home, my preferred roaming partner is Alltel (sux!). Forced roam at home, yields no GPS. If I go a few miles down the road, and move to another cell site, GPS lights right up and functions normally.

OTOH, although its not the preferred partner for my area, on the rare occasion I can lock onto VZW, aGPS response is faster than on native SPCS.

Drive around to another area and try it again. You might have the same issue as I do.
mck
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking time to respond raventbk,

I never knew about AGPS. It makes sense now.

mck
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gateway wrote:
I think what ever you do your hard work should not go unnoticed, its just unfortunate that a nice app has to be hindered by sprint , I do realize why they require this also.

I think if you maybe figured out a way for people to donate easily I think we could get the sprint users to pull some cash out of pocket to get a working non hacked version of the product. IM more than willing to donate as well.

Thank you, please visit http://www.mgmaps.com/news.php?item=148 to donate using PayPal.
may04

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Motorazr 2 v9m (Sprint) Reply with quote

I followed the instructions (Easy way) for the V3m and Mgmaps was installed on the v9m with all permission settings available. I have not used it to drive yet.
jgloss
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! phone won't receive incoming calls when gmaps is Reply with quote

Sprintuser wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
doncrescas wrote:
Wow, did I overlook this limitation in the faqs? if I have the gmaps app open on my 7050, all call are automatically routed to voicemail. If I send it to the background, same thing, unless I place an outgoing call first. Is this a gmaps issue or a sprint issue?

The same thing happens with GSM/GPRS connections (I suspect 3G/UMTS too, but I don't know). When you're connected to the internet, no incoming calls are allowed (so they are routed to voicemail if enabled), and when you make outgoing calls the internet connection is temporarily interrupted for the duration of the call. It's neither mgmaps nor sprint - it's the way internet access is implemented in the current mobile technologies.

Cristian

A bit off topic from GPS, but..

With Sprint, by default, all calls will go to voicemail during a data call.

Sprint uses CDMA2000 1xRTT for those not in a 3G/EVDO enabled area, which does not allow incoming calls during a data call. Sprint has so far opted NOT to implement CPOP (Circuit Preference over Packet Data) which would have allowed it.

Sprint uses CDMA 2000 1xEVDO Rev. 0 and Rev. A for high speed 3G data, which DOES allow incoming calls IF the handset is set to "Voice Pri" in your 3G settings (which you need your MSL to check).

The Sanyo SCP-7050 is NOT a 3G/EVDO phone. It uses 1xRTT only. You will never be able to get incoming calls while transferring data on that phone.

On EVDO enabled Sanyo phones (I use the MM-9000, which will be very similar) ##3283# takes you to the 3G Data Programming screen. Select DDTM Mode, where you will be prompted for your MSL, then select Voice Pri, instead of the default Data Pri.

This tells the handset to give voice calls priority over data calls, IF you are in a EVDO area and currently connected that way. Sometimes if signal is low, the phone will fall back to 1xRTT, and the incoming call will go to voicemail during a data call.

Hope this makes sense.

I have noticed that my Sprint razr v3m will accept calls while browsing the internet, or even using telenav software (a trial... your software is better for what I want anyway.)...I haven't made any modifications or enabled any special services on the phone. It is right out the box...

But I cannot receive calls while using mgmaps. Clearly there is a way to set it up to receive incoming calls. Perhaps in a future release? It would be a very useful improvement to be able to use the phone as a "phone" at the same time.

Thanks again for good software. I hope you continue to improve on it.
mck
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! phone won't receive incoming calls when gmaps is Reply with quote

jgloss wrote:

I have noticed that my Sprint razr v3m will accept calls while browsing the internet, or even using telenav software (a trial... your software is better for what I want anyway.)...I haven't made any modifications or enabled any special services on the phone. It is right out the box...

But I cannot receive calls while using mgmaps. Clearly there is a way to set it up to receive incoming calls. Perhaps in a future release? It would be a very useful improvement to be able to use the phone as a "phone" at the same time.

I noticed mostly the same thing, with my Samsung M510 on Sprint's network. I couldn't receive calls while using mgmaps. While browsing the net or even listening to a streaming podcast I was notified of most of my incoming calls. I also noticed that with mgmaps the network activity icon (Sprint's icon, not mgmaps overlay) shows continous activity, while browsing the web this icon only shows activity while pages are loading.

I believe this constant network activity is related to the GPS function. If I disable the GPS in mgmaps - menu>settings>GPS>Select Device>none>save, then the network is only active while loading maps. I would guess that if you disabled your GPS that mgmaps would allow incoming calls. Of course you might want the GPS function, I do.

I had to do something like you quoted in the previous post, in my case instead of selecting Voice Pri I had to toggle my DDTM setting to Off. I found instructions for changing this setting at http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/ After I changed this setting I could receive calls while using mgmaps with GPS enabled.

mck
jgloss
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! phone won't receive incoming calls when gmaps is Reply with quote

mck wrote:
jgloss wrote:

I noticed mostly the same thing, with my Samsung M510 on Sprint's network. I couldn't receive calls while using mgmaps. While browsing the net or even listening to a streaming podcast I was notified of most of my incoming calls. I also noticed that with mgmaps the network activity icon (Sprint's icon, not mgmaps overlay) shows continous activity, while browsing the web this icon only shows activity while pages are loading.

I believe this constant network activity is related to the GPS function. If I disable the GPS in mgmaps - menu>settings>GPS>Select Device>none>save, then the network is only active while loading maps. I would guess that if you disabled your GPS that mgmaps would allow incoming calls. Of course you might want the GPS function, I do.

I had to do something like you quoted in the previous post, in my case instead of selecting Voice Pri I had to toggle my DDTM setting to Off. I found instructions for changing this setting at http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/ After I changed this setting I could receive calls while using mgmaps with GPS enabled.

mck

Yay. That worked. Thank you.

Just to be academic about this, though: Since Telenav uses the GPS and doesn't have this problem, there must be a way of using the GPS without monopolizing the EVDO connection.

Still. Turning off DDTM accomplished what I need (I needed to call for my msl number. Then I entered ##3282# to get into the setup screen to change the DDTR under evdo, to off... on my razr v3m). Thanks.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! phone won't receive incoming calls when gmaps is Reply with quote

jgloss wrote:
Just to be academic about this, though: Since Telenav uses the GPS and doesn't have this problem, there must be a way of using the GPS without monopolizing the EVDO connection.

You're right... there should be a way. There are actually two different methods of accessing the GPS functionality on Sprint phones, maybe the second one would work better -- I'm attaching it here.

Cristian

mgmaps_sprintv2_1.38.00.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mgmaps_sprintv2_1.38.00.zip
 Filesize:  178.01 KB
 Downloaded:  1902 Time(s)

raventbk
MGMapper

Phone Type: Sanyo 9000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! phone won't receive incoming calls when gmaps is Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

You're right... there should be a way. There are actually two different methods of accessing the GPS functionality on Sprint phones, maybe the second one would work better -- I'm attaching it here.

Cristian

I never had any issue with the device monopolizing the evdo link as described above. However, I've downloaded this "other version" as well, and will give it the works to see which version works best on my handset (Sprint Sanyo9000). Smile Will let ya know.

Kaix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! phone won't receive incoming calls when gmaps is Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
jgloss wrote:

Cristian

TRACK_LOCAL vs TRACK_NETWORK ? or something else?

I've found at least on my Fusic, that TRACK_LOCAL along with the speed optimization works best and is more accurate.

Is GPSOne supported on any of the newer Sprint PDA phones? I'd like one of them but not if they don't support custom GPS applications. From some brief internet searching it looks like the Mogul might have the chip but the firmware has it disabled or something. Haven't found anything about the HTC Touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: