Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Motorola/Sprint/Nextel Hybrid IC902 - GPS Not Available

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Shyte
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Motorola/Sprint/Nextel Hybrid IC902 - GPS Not Available Reply with quote

I've installed the root cert via the sprint developer site and can grant "Always Allow" access to the GPS. When I select Internal GPS in the application, I get a "GPS Functions are not available in this phone" - and I get no data from the GPS.

I've tried several versions of MGMaps with no luck and would really like to get this up and running. Any ideas? [/b]
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Motorola/Sprint/Nextel Hybrid IC902 - GPS Not Available Reply with quote

The Shyte wrote:
I've installed the root cert via the sprint developer site and can grant "Always Allow" access to the GPS. When I select Internal GPS in the application, I get a "GPS Functions are not available in this phone" - and I get no data from the GPS.

I've tried several versions of MGMaps with no luck and would really like to get this up and running. Any ideas? [/b]

I can see the Motorola ic902 is an iDEN phone, that means it may use the Motorola iDEN GPS API and not the Sprint (Qualcomm) GPS API... if that's the case, you'll have to wait until I add spuport for Motorola's GPS API.

Cristian
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was hoping I'd get lucky and it would fall into the same category as the IC502. Smile Your app looks great, can't wait to try it out. Thanks!
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up - the IC902 is a Sprint CDMA phone with IDEN walkie-talkie, much like the IC502. I was poking around the Sprint developer forum and found the java specs, which includes both JSR179 and the Qualcomm location API's. If you'd like me to post the whole mess of J2ME stuff that's supported, or test a new MGMaps version, let me know. Thank you again.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shyte wrote:
Just a quick follow-up - the IC902 is a Sprint CDMA phone with IDEN walkie-talkie, much like the IC502. I was poking around the Sprint developer forum and found the java specs, which includes both JSR179 and the Qualcomm location API's. If you'd like me to post the whole mess of J2ME stuff that's supported, or test a new MGMaps version, let me know. Thank you again.

That's strange, it should be similar to the IC502. If it really supports JSR179, you can just install the default version of mgmaps (not the sprint one) and set the GPS to Internal and it should work.
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just loaded the default version, and it took the Internal GPS setting, but appears to not be fixed on a position (it's been about 10 minutes.. I know, I'm anxious!) Smile Is there an expected delay as it acquires?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shyte wrote:
I just loaded the default version, and it took the Internal GPS setting, but appears to not be fixed on a position (it's been about 10 minutes.. I know, I'm anxious!) Smile Is there an expected delay as it acquires?

There can be a delay, but not 10 minutes. Maybe you're simply in an area where it's difficult to get a fix - go outside and see if you get a fix there.
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something's missing on my end. I'm not seeing the Bluetooth icon (indicating GPS activity) during any of this, but I do see a small compass with a red and blue needle - has that replaced the BT icon for GPS?

I'll keep trying the new versions as you release them and hope my phone likes one Smile

Great app, and even better support. Thank you!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shyte wrote:
Yeah, something's missing on my end. I'm not seeing the Bluetooth icon (indicating GPS activity) during any of this, but I do see a small compass with a red and blue needle - has that replaced the BT icon for GPS?

Yes, that replaces the BT icon.

The Shyte wrote:
I'll keep trying the new versions as you release them and hope my phone likes one Smile

Great app, and even better support. Thank you!

Thanks, I hope it gets fixed soon.
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're an IC902 user that stumbled across this thread - I'd like to share the things I tried while hoping to get MGMaps working on my handset. I don't have time to hunt down all the "how-to" links, but they're in the forum, and I found them through searching.

Install:
- Enabled the Developer Root Cert;
- Tried current, and several past Java versions of the app, including those for the E1000/A780;
- Loaded OTA, separate jar/jad's and zipped packages via the Sprint developer site
- Loaded with BitPim (had to find the content directory, since it's in a different place than the how-to, which is for another model);

Testing
When I installed a version that "took" the internal GPS setting, defined by me as a) allowing the phones permissions to be set (Always Allow) and b) successfully saved the Internal GPS setting in the app, I tried the following:

- Left the phone outside under an open sky for at least 10 minutes to acquire a fix. At most, I'd see the GPS activity icon showing blue over red , but no lat/long data or tracking.
- Tried with "Settings - Others - Location" off and on;
- Tried setting the Coordinate Format (thinking it might have to match with the GPS is sending it...)
- Power cycled the phone each time I removed a version and whenever I changed the location status or application permissions.
- Confirmed that MyCast and Pilot MyCast were sucessfully using the internal GPS to auto-select location on startup.

If you get MGMaps running on your IC902, please drop me a note - I usually think of a lot, but seldom think of everything. Smile

On a side note - Cristian, do you know of a bare-bones util that just shows raw GPS data? That might help some of us in determining if we are able to connect to, and get a data stream from, the internal receivers before we start playing with the settings in the MGMaps application...
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update*** Very Happy

Cristian did some fantastic work and as of version 1.36.02, mgmaps works perfectly on the IC902!
You must have the developers root certificate enabled, and install the 'generic' version of the mgmaps app.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shyte wrote:
***Update*** Very Happy

Cristian did some fantastic work and as of version 1.36.02, mgmaps works perfectly on the IC902!
You must have the developers root certificate enabled, and install the 'generic' version of the mgmaps app.

Thanks, I'm attaching the version of mgmaps that works on the IC902 (it is not present on the website yet).

mgmaps-sprintv2.zip
 Description:
MGMaps generic v1.36.02, signed with a sprint certificate.

Download
 Filename:  mgmaps-sprintv2.zip
 Filesize:  159.56 KB
 Downloaded:  1323 Time(s)

opg4759

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on getting this to work.

Once I figured out how to get it into the phone it is running flawlessly. This has got to be one of the most useful apps I've seen to date.
ecr
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: IC902 Reply with quote

hello-

I would appreciate some help with my ic902- i followed all directions posted on this forum (i think!)-

i enabled the Developer Root Cert on sprint's website- it shows "Y" in the status field on their website, plus i have waited 9 hours, so i am assuming it "took".

i got my MSL code and was able to enter the advanced field in the ##3282# menu; however i couldn't find any CERT field to change- but, when i click on "view" rather than "edit", i can eventually get to a field labeled "Developer Certificate", which is already set to "on"(maybe because of the setting that i did on the sprint website?), so i assume that i should be good to go?

Finally, I have downloaded (numerous times) the version of mgmaps posted directly above, and it allows me to set the device setting to "internal", but the "settings" option (when i click on "options" before i load the program) does not allow me to allow mgmaps to access my gps location ( it only shows "never allow"), and the program tells me that "gps error gps not yet determined etc" when i try the "where am i ?" option. (i was driving in my car for a good 15 minutes when trying this and it didn't register so i am assuming that the gps wasn't actually working at all).

i also tried downloading the signed sprint version from the wap site, and that version allowed me to set gps access to "always allow" under the settings option (before i load the program), but when i try to set the device option to "internal", it tells me that "internal gps feature is not available for this phone".

any idea what i am doing wrong?
thanks for your help!
________
LAMBORGHINI 350GT

Last edited by ecr on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you power off/on the phone after the developer root shows as being "on" and before installing the application. Also - make sure you're uploading both the jar and the jad files (an uploader like rumkin.com won't work)...

Oh - it might not matter, but my "Location" has always been turned on... not sure if mgmaps will work with it off or not...
ecr
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply-

i actually used rumkin, but the program does load and turn on and works properly etc (i am able to view maps), except for GPS- are you saying that such a problem could be a result of using rumkin?

also, there is another OTA uploader at funformobile.com, that specifically asks for the JAD and JAR separately- would that work better?

thanks!
________
Chevrolet colorado specifications

The Shyte
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - or google for the "gtoal" uploader - that's what I used and it worked fine....
ecr
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

you were correct- i used funformobile.com and it now works like a charm- thanks again!

and thanks mgmaps for a great program!
________
Yamaha ymf262 specifications

ecr
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another question-

can mgmaps be used with downloadable maps on the ic902 also, as is discussed on other threads for other phones- will the version we have loaded work for that? also, can the program and the downloaded maps be loaded from and run off of the micro sd card?

thanks
________
Ford Model T Specifications

Levin91e
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love MGMAPS, i liked it even without gps function, but now with it working on my phones internal gps, it is 10 times better. Thanks for supporting this app so well and working so hard to support the numerous phones out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: